JAMB Registration: UTME Registration Fee And Why NIN Is Important For 2021/2022

For aspiring candidates who haven’t heard yet, decisions have already been made for the JAMB registration: UTME registration, and reasons stated out for why NIN is important for the 2021/2022 exam.

The registrar of the Joint Admission Matriculation Board (JAMB) Professor Ishaq Oloyede, gave his reasons for the board introducing the use of the National Identity Number (NIN)  by students registering for the 2021 JAMB examinations is mainly a way to curb examination malpractice by candidates.

Professor Oloyede released this statement during a virtual meeting with the owners of Computer Based Test centres saying that the use of the NIN for registration is based on a directive from the Nigerian Minister of Education, Adamu Adamu  and his reason for doing so is to checkmate security issues in Nigeria as well.

According to Professor Oloyede, “it is due to security reasons; in our small level, it will help to avoid impersonation which is the bigger picture of the insecurity that our country is in and we know that many of these insecurities we have is because we have an identification problem, as not every citizen cannot be identified by us”.

Furthermore, JAMB promptly announced April 8th as the date which the registration of the 2021 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination, will commence. An earlier statement announced that registration will end on May 15, 2021.

The recent directive for NIN to be made a compulsory part of the JAMB examination by the Minister of Education and the fact that the registration will end on May 15, raises the question as to what will happen to those candidates who haven’t gotten this number yet. If you are one of such people, this article will provide further clarification.

What Will Happen To People Who Don’t Have NIN Or SIM Cards?

In the meeting, Oloyede said that candidates must make use of the accessible SIM cards they haven’t used before for the UTME registration.

He also said that JAMB is currently in discussions with the Minister of Communication and Digital Economy to grant a conditional waiver to almost 20 percent of the candidates who don’t have a SIM card.

Not all the candidates sitting for the exam are without a SIM, 80 percent of those candidates already have their number as compared to the other 20 percent and if we are fortunate enough to secure the waiver of the minister through the NCC, we will go ahead to make sure people fully comply with the following conditions because it is in our best interest as nation, as those things they put in place will be allowed to protect all of us.”

How Much Is The JAMB Registration Fee?

The Joint Admission Matriculation Board (JAMB) tweeted an announcement on their official Twitter account that the registration fee for the 2021 application documents is N3,500 and N500 for the recommended Reading Text.

Go here to learn everything you need to know about JAMB 2021

How To Register For NIN

If you plan to sit for the 2021/2022 JAMB examination and you haven’t already registered for the NIN now maybe the time for you to do so, pending the waiver from the NCC, so that you don’t lose out on this limited opportunity.

Here is how to register for NIN:

  • Fill the NIMC Pre Enrolment online form by visiting Pre Enrolment Portal or go to the NIMC office in person.
  • Fill out the mandatory fields correctly.
  • Download and print your Pre Enrolment Slip if you filled the online form.
  • Go to the NIMC registration centre with the requested documents for reference.
  • At the enrolment center you will be directed to an enrolment officer to verify the details of your application.
  • If your application complies with the directed steps, the officer will guide you with capturing your biometrics and you will collect the transaction ID slip.
  • You will be notified when your NIN is ready for collection.

How To Retrieve Your National Identity Number

You can easily retrieve your NIN on your mobile phone, using the NIMC’s USSD service.

Simply:

  • Dial *346#.
  • From the options displayed, select “NIN Retrieval”, by typing in ‘1’ using the same phone number you used when registration for your NIN
  • Follow the instructions on your screen and put in the required information.
  • You may be required to pay a service fee of N20 deducted from your phone.
  • This works on MTN, Glo, Airtel, and 9Mobile.

You still have some time to get your NIN before the deadline posed by the board for the end of the JAMB registration, register now while you still can.